In case you didn’t know, Facebook implemented a while ago lots of rules and regulations for promotions on pages forbidding, for instance, the classical “likes” competitions. Well, here is a good news to all the social media marketeers and community managers: You are now allowed to run competitions on your page’s timeline and use Facebook features (like and comment) as voting mechanism!
The most popular social network just released its new terms and conditions for administering promotions. It is worth noting that personal timelines can’t be used for those purposes which means shares are still not allowed as a voting mechanism. Also, accuracy is a must so you can’t ask someone to tag friends in a product’s picture.
Here are the new terms for Facebook Pages promotions:
What is considered a promotion on Facebook?
Promotions typically include:
• Element of chance
• Giveaway or prize
• We’ve removed the requirement that promotions on Facebook may only be administered within apps
• With the change, promotions may now be administered on Page Timelines and in apps on Facebook, but not on personal Timelines.
For example, Pages can now:
• Collect entries by having users post on the Page or comment/like a Page post
• Collect entries by having users message the Page
• As before, clients must not administer a promotion on a personal Timeline
• We updated our Page Terms to prohibit Pages from tagging or encouraging people to tag themselves in content that they are not actually depicted in
Why we’re doing it?
We want to make it easier for businesses of all sizes to create and administer promotions on Facebook, and to align our policies to better meet the needs of marketers.
Every business is different, and you should experiment with promotions to find what your customers respond to best. Here are some best practices:
• Post promotions that are tied to your business objectives
• Use promotions to build awareness for a new product, promote the opening of a new location, sell inventory, or advance other business objectives
• Make promotions compelling
• Promotions offering significant upside to people who enter are more likely to encourage engagement and generate buzz
• Creative best practices on Facebook still apply—compelling text and images that are in the brand voice tend to get better response and engagement rates
• Amplify your promotions
• Create Promoted Posts or ads for your Page post to broaden the reach of your promotion
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I still use Page tabs and apps to administer a promotion?
Yes, Pages can still administer promotions via their Page tabs and apps as long as the promotion is run according to Facebook’s promotion guidelines.
Q: Why can’t I ask people to take part in a promotion by liking, sharing, or posting something on their personal Timeline?
We want to make sure that people continue to post authentic, high quality content to their Facebook Timelines to stay better connected with the people they care about.
There are technical reasons for confining the administration of the promotion to either a Page or in an app. For example, because people can choose to limit the visibility of the content they put on Facebook to only themselves, friends, or to a custom group of people, Pages won’t have the ability to access all of the entries that people post on their own Timelines unless these entries are public. We may explore enabling this in the future, but to ensure a good experience for administrators of promotions and prospective entrants to a promotion, we are limiting the administration of promotions on Facebook to Pages and within apps at this time.
Q: How should I decide if I should administer my promotion via an app or directly on my Page?
Creating a promotion with an app on Facebook allows a Page to create a more personalized experience, more in line with your branding strategy. Apps provide more space and flexibility for content than Page posts alone. Promotions run through apps can collect data in a secure, structured way that may be appealing to advertisers, particularly larger brands. Creating a promotion with a Page is faster and easier. Additionally, as with all Page posts, Page posts about promotions are eligible to be displayed in the News Feeds of the people who like the Page and can be promoted to a broader audience.
Businesses always have the option of using both an app and their Page to administer a promotion.